My name is Tom Tollenaere. I am an improv trainer and an improv musician, I have been doing this since 1997 and these are my writings.
The main part of this site is the blog – I try & post at least once a month.
- July 11, 2019: How cool is this? Bad Dog Theatre Company is running a series of classes on my Cloud Atlas format. If you’re in Toronto you should check them out!
- June 12, 2019: This Summer I will be teaching and performing in Belfast & Boston!
- May 30, 2019: New post on Obviousness.
- April 30, 2019: New post on Embracing Mistakes.
- March 5, 2019: New post about Endowment.
- February 3, 2019: Impro Amsterdam was a blast! I’ll post something about the experience!
- January 30, 2019: a new article about “Extreme Anding“. Sounds weird? Check it out!
- December 12, 2018: I’ll be performing & teaching @ Impro Amsterdam 2019!
- October 10, 2018: my article on the Dark Side was translated & published in spanish.
- September 26, 2018: a new blog post on Improv Sandpaper. No idea what that might be? Check it out!
- August 30. 2018: a new blog post on whether Improv should (or should not) address dark, controversial & taboo subjects.
- August 18, 2018: Status Magazine published an interview with yours truly. In Spanish (though the interview was done in English :)).
- July 30, 2018: a new blog post on Protagonists & Antagonists (part 2).
- June 12, 2018: off to Tampere for teaching tons of workshops and playing lotsa shows at the Finland International Improv Festival.
- June 4, 2018: a translation of my article on Monologues was published on improblog.nl.
- May 30, 2018: a new post on essential non-musical skills for Improv Musical Directors.
- April 28, 2018: new blog post on essential skills for Improv Musical Directors.
- March 30, 2018: new blog post on Protagonists & Antagonists (part I).
- March 11, 2018: 2 full weeks of improv. First we are have the Improovelicious 2018 festival in Leuven, and next week I’ll be teaching & performing @SWIMP18 in Uppsala, Sweden!
- February 20, 2018: new blog post on a RIOT signature improv format “13 Things”.
- February 10, 2018: I got quoted in an interview on Improvisualproject.com – topic was “Importance of connections of improv in a digital world“.
- February 1, 2018: my post on monologues got translated into Spanish and published by Status Revista.
- January 16, 2018: new blog post on knowing and deciding when to sing!
- January 8, 2018: a translation of my article “Instant Trouble vs Instant Tension” was published on improblog.nl.
- November 11, 2017: new post about the Power of Monologues.
- October 29, 2017: new blog post on Exposition.
- October 9, 2017: a translation of my article “Puppets & Puppetteers” was published on improblog.nl.
- September 22, 2017: new blog post on Instant Trouble versus Instant Tension.
- September 17, 2017: added a page with some cool testimonials.
- September 13, 2017: my blog post on Martha Stewart Improv sparked a great discussion on the Facebook International Improv Group (you need to be a member in order to see it).
- August 21, 2017: I’ll be guest blogging on the Dutch improblog.nl!
- August 6, 2017: new blog post on the musical improv format we perform with my group RIOT.
- July 24, 2017: last weekend I got to teach a workshop on Anti-factual Storytelling in Edinburgh, Scotland. And perform with the fabulous Men With Coconuts.
- July 14, 2017: new blog post on an original long form format called Deus Ex Machina.
- July 12, 2017: I just discovered that Vance Gillis at Montreal Improv is running a 7 week intensive on my Cloud Atlas format this Summer. How cool is that!
- July 5, 2017: new blog post titled Trains & Tracks.
- June 25, 2017: this weekend we performed my Musical Harold format at the 2017 Amsterdam Improv Marathon. It was a blast!
- June 3, 2017: new blog post on Musical Direction for a Road Trip Format.
- May 12, 2017: new blog post on how we created a version of a Musical Harold.
- March 3, 2017: new blog post Puppets & Puppeteers.
- February 5, 2017: a new blog post on the Circle of Expectations.
- January 9, 2017: a new blog post on Characters & Opinions.